Dada is the sun, Dada is the egg. Dada is the Police of the Police.

1/29/2005

More right-wing delusions

The gap between the way the Right believes the world to be and the way the world actually is continues to widen. Instapundit illustrates just how far removed he is from reality in his response to an email from a reader, a supposed "lefty" who writes:
You rightly point out that we liberals must do our best to shout down, disassociate ourselves, do everything we can to make ourselves no longer the party of Michael Moore, Howard Zinn, Noam Chomsky, et al.

...

You've got a big pulpit. Help show us Dems how to make a party that's sane.
Insta's response:

I confess that I don't know how to save the Dems. I think that the "silent majority" -- those genuine moderate Democrats/Liberals that I keep hearing about, but don't hear a lot from on the national stage -- needs to realize the damage that the kooks do -- as the Republicans figured out -- and quit regarding extremism as evidence of "commitment" or "passion."

...

The alternative is for the Democratic party to get smaller as it gets angrier, and angrier as it gets smaller, until it just doesn't matter anymore. At some point the Republican Party will then likely split into a social-conservative wing and a libertarian wing, and I can join the latter, I guess. I'm not ready to call the Democrats the new Whigs, but it's not impossible for me to imagine.

I would like to know two things. First of all, I would like conservatives to offer me some examples of Democratic Party platforms are policies that they find so extreme and "kooky". Not something Michael Moore said, not some ridiculous lies about Noam Chomsky supporting the USSR (I'm looking at you, Andrew Sullivan). Actual positions taken by the actual Democratic Party.

When they are done answering that question, they can begin to explain how, exactly, they take the results of the Nov. 2 election as an indication that the Democratic party is getting smaller and smaller, on its way to complete electoral irrelevance, to being the new Whigs. Bush was re-elected with 51% of the vote to Kerry's 48%, the smallest margin of victory for an incumbent president since Woodrow Wilson in 1916.

I didn't hear anyone talking about the Republicans turning into the new Whigs after Clinton won re-election in 1996. I don't even remember anyone saying that about the Democrats after Mondale lost every state (save Minnesota) in '84.* So again: what evidence to the right-wingers have for the imminent irrelevance of the Democratic party?

Sounds like wishful thinking to me. Democrats would be well-advised not to listen to any of the Right's "advice" for saving their party.






* I don't remember off the top of my head. It is possible, of course, that this idea was suggested at the time. If so, it would be an even stronger indication of the foolishness of Instapundit's comment, as obviously the Democratic Party did not fade into the irrelevance of permanent minority status even after Mondale's crushing loss.

Blogarama - The Blog Directory Sanity is not statistical.