Dada is the sun, Dada is the egg. Dada is the Police of the Police.

2/16/2005

The new libertarian girl ...

... is shaping up to be quite a bit different than the old one. Which is to say, she's actually posted something that makes sense and contains good ideas!

Jacqueline Passey's proposal for tax reform is to place the weight on property taxes, as opposed to income and purchases. This sounds like a good idea to me, though it also sounds a lot like one that a lot of lefties have been advocating -- the taxing of property rather than wages/labor. Not very libertarian-like.

When I pointed this out to her, she resonded:

I am a left-libertarian... a libertarian, but from the left wing of the movement.

...

I favor equality of opportunity and a meritocracy.

I consider myself to be from the left wing of the party because my priorities are the issues we share in common with liberals -- free speech, gay rights, separation of church and state, ending drug prohibition, etc. Democrats are my lesser evil.


Democrats are my lesser evil too! New libertarian girl, you're all right! I had assumed she was a righty; most people who call themselves libertarians seem to be more concerned about the economic liberty of the wealthy than the civil liberty of all people. But I was wrong.

Maybe I should stop jumping to conclusions like that. I doubt I will, but maybe I should.

Jackie Passey, you are mah new friend!

Blogarama - The Blog Directory Sanity is not statistical.