Dada is the sun, Dada is the egg. Dada is the Police of the Police.

4/11/2005

Metablogging

Has anyone gotten the impression that conservative blogs tend either not to allow comments, or to strongly monitor comments, while leftish blogs tend to have a more open commenting policy?

This is an admittedly unscientific survey, but of the blogs I check every day or nearly every day, the numbers break down like this:

Out of 25 leftish blogs:

20 allow open commenting--no moderation to speak of, no registration required. Among these are Eschaton, Washington Monthly.

1 has commenting that requires registration (Oliver Willis).

4 have no commenting at all (Billmon, Olbermann, Wolcott, Leiter).


Of the 22 conservative blogs I read regularly:

11 have open commenting, including, most prominently, Right Reason.

4 have commenting but make you jump through significant hoops (registration, moderation, etc.); these include LaShawn Barber and Captain's Quarters.

7 have no commenting at all: Power Line, Instapundit, The Corner, Michelle & Jesse Malkin, and Hugh Hewitt among them.


I'm not sure how to account for this. If I wasn't such a nice guy, I might be tempted to say that conservatives, especially the more prominent ones, are afraid to allow readers to post comments that are less than worshipful. But like I said, I'm a nice guy, so I won't say that.

I also wonder if my impression is accurate; it could just be a fluke that I happen to read conservative blogs with strict commenting policies (or no-commenting policies) and leftish blogs with liberal commenting policies. It would be interesting to know if anyone else has the same impression.

Blogarama - The Blog Directory Sanity is not statistical.