Dada is the sun, Dada is the egg. Dada is the Police of the Police.

5/21/2005

Do you hate Laura Bush?

Jill at Feministe doesn't:
I’ll admit it: I do not hate Laura Bush.

I know this fact probably merits my expulsion from several liberal-minded social groups, but hear me out. I don’t think she’s stupid, and I don’t think it’s fair to call her a Stepford wife. I am deeply disappointed in her refusal to publically dissent from her husband on issues where they certainly disagree (abortion rights, education funding, many issues concerning women and children), but I don’t think that makes her an completely impotent force in the White House. The fact is that she probably is a mostly impotent force, but she has pushed for various educational and literacy initiatives, which, though they are considered “soft” issues in political circles, are nonetheless important. Does she have the kind of life that I’d want? No. Do I think it’s pathetic that she abandoned her own political beliefs when she married her George? Sure. But I think she’s a strong person, and I think she’s smarter than many liberals (and conservatives, for that matter) give her credit for.

I don't know if I 'hate' Laura Bush, but I don't see any particular reason to suppose that she's smarter than people give her credit for. You see, she is married to George Bush, which immediately calls one's intelligence, judgment, and character into question.

As for being a 'Stepford Wife' ... have you seen the woman? Have you seen her vacant grin? I think it's that, more than any perceived submissiveness to her husband, that earns her that label.

Now, I'll admit she's not actively evil the way, say, Lynn Cheney is. (She is fucking evil!) But I don't see any evidence that she's 'strong' or intelligent or in any way admirable.

Blogarama - The Blog Directory Sanity is not statistical.