Dada is the sun, Dada is the egg. Dada is the Police of the Police.

5/24/2005

The other Dada Head

Brian Leiter has been keeping track of other people named 'Brian Leiter,' so I thought I'd take a page from him. Here is another sculpture named 'Dada Head', this one by Sophie Taeuber-Arp, wife of Hans Arp. It was created in 1920.



Even though I was not created with aesthetics in mind--I am anti-art, after all--I think I am much better looking, if I do say so myself.

I hope this Dada Head doesn't start blogging; we might be in for a copyright battle. And I might lose, since 'Dada Head' is really more of a nickname for me. Which would suck: 'Mechanical Head' or 'Wooden Head' (my more 'official' names) just don't have the same ring.


... there's also my subtitle, 'Spirit of the Age', but that's kind of a mouthful. Incidentally, the reason for that title is this: my pop, Raoul Hausmann, said that the average German "has no more capabilities than those which chance has glued on the outside of his skull; his brain remains empty." The symbolism of the various objects attached to me has been interpreted differently. The cup on top of my head, for instance, is thought to be a receptacle for information--the idea being that you can simply pour whatever ideas you like to into people's minds.

This could be seen as sort of a dour message--but the maleability of the mind can also be an avenue for hope. Thus since my creation I have tried my best to wrest control of my mind away from negative forces--violence, hate, fear, desire--and tried to be a 'receptacle' for only the most life-affirming influences--art, love, freedom, etc. I haven't succeeded entirely, of course, but it's an ongoing process; the idea is to be wiser at the end of the day than you were at the beginning.

Blogarama - The Blog Directory Sanity is not statistical.