Dada is the sun, Dada is the egg. Dada is the Police of the Police.

7/04/2005

America's birth certificate

That's what Aussie Girl calls the Declaration of Independence. Armando calls it a "magnificent document." Some of the other Kossacks aren't so sure. A commenter says:

I don't think the so-called "Declaration of Independence" was a magnificent document at all. I think it`s a great piece of hypocritical nonsense, penned by some rich guys who wanted to be the ones doing the oppression, rather than simply profit on the edges.

Hypocrites, because they didn't mean ONE SINGLE DAMN WORD OF THE "FREEDOM" or "EQUALITY" stuff. Not ONE WORD of it did they mean. Not ONE THING CHANGED after this. Not one. Rich white guys running the show from London turned into rich white guys running the show from Philadelphia (later New York and even later Washington D.C.). Wow. Woohoo. The entire course of the human race has been shaken to its very foundation.

Forgive me if I don't buy into the pre-programmed nationalistic chauvinism that's been drummed into me in one form or another every single day of my entire life. I know I`m supposed to. I've been taught since before I can remember to worship those rich white guys, and worship the various documents they wrote. I just can't do it any more. Reading their writings and studying history has made me into a severe cynic and bitter man. I just don`t find any of the adoration to be justified after everything I've learned.

Hey, hold on, at least George Washington personally got shot at, I'll give him that.

These weren't saints, people. The "Declaration of Independence" wasn't so spectacular. It was a piece of hate mail to a rich King who was competing with them for dominant position on the ladder of Rich White Males. And really, laugh if you want, hate me if you want (and I'm sure most people born in the USA will) but if you boil it down, isn't that exactly what it was?


And a few bring up this rather problematic passage from the Declaration:

He has excited domestic insurrections amongst us, and has endeavoured to bring on the inhabitants of our frontiers, the merciless Indian Savages whose known rule of warfare, is an undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes and conditions.

Blogarama - The Blog Directory Sanity is not statistical.