Dada is the sun, Dada is the egg. Dada is the Police of the Police.

10/23/2005

"Dirt and migrating and more dirt"

Bitch Ph.D. links to a collection of Amazon.com reviews that gave classic novels one-star reviews. The point of the collection is, I think, to poke a little fun at the reviewers for making trivial or unfounded complaints about these great works. But the Bitch actually agrees with the 1-star review of The Great Gatsby, and I myself found several of the reviews to be quite astute and accurate evaluations. I'm not kidding; for instance:
One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (1962)

Author: Ken Kesey

“I guess if you were interested in crazy people this is the book for you.”


The Catcher in the Rye (1951)

Author: J.D. Salinger

“So many other good books…don’t waste your time on this one. J.D. Salinger went into hiding because he was embarrassed.”


The Grapes of Wrath (1939)

Author: John Steinbeck

“While the story did have a great moral to go along with it, it was about dirt! Dirt and migrating. Dirt and migrating and more dirt.”


The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe (1950)

Author: C.S. Lewis

“I bought these books to have something nice to read to my grandkids. I had to stop, however, because the books are nothing more than advertisements for “Turkish Delight,” a candy popular in the U.K. The whole point of buying books for my grandkids was to give them a break from advertising, and here (throughout) are ads for this “Turkish Delight”! How much money is this Mr. Lewis getting from the Cadbury’s chocolate company anyway? This man must be laughing to the bank.”
The ubiquity of Turkish Delight in The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe is something that has always puzzled me (though I doubt that CS Lewis was actually receiving money from the Turkish Delight industry, and I'm quite certain that he's not "laughing to the bank," seeing as how he is dead). And there's no denying that there is a lot of dirt in The Grapes of Wrath.

Blogarama - The Blog Directory Sanity is not statistical.